How Dangerous Is It To Have Mice In My Dallas Home?
The reason pest control is so important is that some infestations can bring a whole lot of other problems with them. Mice, which are very common rodents that invade homes and businesses, aren’t just tough to get rid of, they can pose legitimate risks to your health and property. Learning how to prevent their populations and spot the signs of an infestation can help your home stay mouse-free.
The Common House Mouse
Mice are just one of the two most common invasive rodents, the other is the rat. While both of them are dangerous and destructive, mice can reproduce the quickest of any rodent species, making them one of the worst pests to have in your home. A small mouse problem can quickly grow into a larger population. To tell them apart from rats, look for the following features:
- Size: Adult mice typically only grow a few inches in length, making them much smaller than rats. Rat pups can look very similar in size to a mouse, however, so you’ll need to judge the problem with some other features, too.
- Ears: Often the easiest way to tell a mouse from a rat is by looking at their ears. Mice have large, round ears perched right atop their heads. Rat ears are tucked further back and are pinched at the edges.
- Droppings: Rodents are good at hiding, so you’re more likely to spot their feces than their bodies. Mouse droppings are typically much smaller than rats’, with pinched ends.
The Dangers Of Mice In Your Home
Rodents aren’t just invasive and tough to control, they are some of the most dangerous pests around. Mice can pose direct threats to your home and your health, which means proper prevention and elimination are priorities, not luxuries. Here are some of the biggest problems associated with mice infestations:
- Disease: Mice are known to carry and spread plague, salmonella, and rabies. Even if mice aren’t carriers, they can be infested with ticks and lice that also spread disease.
- Damage: Mice chew incessantly on anything they can get their mouths around. They do this to file their constantly growing teeth, but this means lots of damage to household items.
- Odor: As their feces and urine pile and pool up, mice contribute to truly foul odors that permeate a home. The mere presence of their droppings can make people sick.
Rodent Problems Are Tough To Beat
With the serious problems they can cause, it’s no wonder people try everything they can to get rid of mice or try to prevent infestations. The problem is that DIY (do it yourself) methods often don’t truly eliminate the problem. Store-bought or homemade baits and traps might deal with a couple of mice but they won’t help locate where a nest is or how many pups are growing to replace their numbers. Not only can ineffective methods give you a false sense of security, but it can also prompt mice to hunker down in even harder-to-reach areas of your home. Then, it’s only a matter of time before they’re back in force and the problems simply worsen. Truly, the best course of action is to turn to pest experts. There is help nearby, call the experts at Cantu Pest & Termite today! For Total Control Call Cantu Pest & Termite!
With pests as common and dangerous as mice, you really don’t want to mess around with ineffective or unproven control methods. Instead of wasting your time and money, partner with local professionals who can provide you with more advice and assistance. At Cantu Pest & Termite, our technicians know all the tricks to uncover rodent populations and drive them out. Even if your home hasn’t fallen victim to the dangers of mice, it’s important to get a trained pair of eyes on your property to determine your level of risk. It’s better to be safe than sorry with mice, so don’t wait for problems to become apparent before you get started on proper rodent control. Don’t let mice move into your home, turn to Cantu Pest & Termite right away for total mice protection.