What Every Houston Property Owner Needs To Know About American Cockroaches
Pests aren’t hated for no reason. Many are dangerous in some manner. Some can damage Houston homes and businesses as well as items. Sometimes furniture, books, and other items are not safe. Some can send you to the emergency room. As you might imagine, these risks are even greater if an insect or creature is of a species that can reproduce with speed. American cockroaches fit this description almost entirely.
American cockroaches have a reputation for being invaders of properties. It isn’t hard for them to get indoors and they hide away in spots that are difficult to reach. With all of this in mind, you can see how these critters are extremely hard to control. Take some time to read about these roaches so you’ll know how to stay ahead of them with Cantu Pest & Termite.
How Do American Cockroaches Operate? What Are the Hazards?
American cockroaches may not have originated in this country but they are rampant here. The adults are quite large, being a maximum of 3 inches long. They have reddish-brown or mahogany skin and a pair of wings. A yellow marking that’s shaped like the number eight is behind their heads. They are able to fly short distances.
Since American cockroaches flourish in damp and warm environments, they are mainly outdoor critters. They often settle and breed in sewers, gardens, flowerbeds, mulch, and trees. If there is a shortage of food and water though, they won’t hesitate to infiltrate your home or business. These insects will find cracks or crevices around foundations, windows, and doors to enter. Spaces like laundry rooms, kitchens, bathrooms, and basements are the most conducive to their needs.
The three major signs of infestation are as follows:
- Droppings: These bugs have feces that are blunted on the ends and have ridges. They’ll leave their excrement in kitchens, laundry rooms, and basements.
- Eggs: Look for casings or eggs in the same areas as droppings. More specifically, check cabinets, around stored items, and behind appliances. They will be brown, with a hint of red or black.
- Odors: These roaches release communication chemicals and secretions that smell musty.
The primary concern with cockroaches is its ability to contaminate food and surfaces. They are usually covered in bacteria, and have it in their saliva, feces, and urine. Their legs have spines that adhere to spores, particles, objects, and liquids. Once they’ve rummaged through a cereal box or gone across a counter-top, they’ve tainted it. Cockroaches are known for spreading diseases like salmonella and gastroenteritis. They also transmit pathogens and viruses. Individuals with allergy issues or asthma will be affected tremendously. Additionally, American cockroaches can tear up fabrics and paper.
How Can American Cockroaches Be Prevented?
- Seal up gaps around utilities, doors, windows, and foundations.
- Repair leaks, and plumbing and moisture faults immediately.
- All exterior doors should have sweeps attached.
- Cut your grass and trim your greenery routinely.
- Plants and flowers should be two feet or more from the property.
- Use airtight containers for food and trash.
- Take out the garbage, clean your dishes, and vacuum regularly.
What Can Cantu Pest & Termite Do About American Cockroaches?
Cantu Pest & Termite has successfully been in business for over 30 years because we offer affordable plans and advanced treatments. Our expert technicians will use our industrial-grade solutions fashioned to eliminate cockroaches long term. They’ll also give you suggestions for continued blocking. You’ll receive a free quote when you call today!