Which Rodent Is Wreaking Havoc In Your Dallas Home?
February 17, 2020
When dealing with pest infestations in your home or business, finding out you have rats or mice can be extremely frustrating. These rodents are difficult to get rid of because they are adept at hiding and finding their way inside of your Dallas home. They can also be quite difficult to remove or eliminate because of their size and the fact that they are quick and lively mammals.
While both mice and rats can cause property damage and are dangerous to human health, they are two different species. This means that they behave differently and can pose different concerns. Therefore, as a first step toward prevention, it’s important to arm yourself with knowledge regarding their identification, behavior, and prevention strategies. First, let’s begin by discussing the difference between mice and rats as you’re unlikely to have both in your home at the same time.
- Smaller than rats and usually only reach four inches long
- Have long, thin tails that are longer than the length of their bodies
- Their snouts and ears are large compared to their heads
- Usually a light brown or light grey color but can be black or white
- Larger than mice and can grow to be up to ten inches
- They have thicker, shorter tails
- Usually a light brown to a black color
- Other Ways To Identify Rodents
While there are some things about mice and rat behavior that differ, they do have some similarities. For one thing, they are both nocturnal. This means it can be difficult to get a good look at them as they tend to hide well and only come out during the night. So, it’s helpful to identify other warning signs that may indicate a rodent infestation.
Some common signs of mice and rats include:
- Droppings : One sign of rodents is the droppings they leave behind. Mice will have smaller droppings while rats have slightly larger and darker colored droppings.
- Noise : Both rodents will make scurrying noises, but rats tend to stick to more of a predictable daily pattern. Burrowing: Some species of rats, such as the Norway rat will burrow. Mice are not borrowers. They are nesters. This means if you notice burrows or small tunnels and holes, you most likely have rats.
- Bite marks : While both mice and rats will chew on things like wires and pipes, smaller bites with more scratches usually mean you have mice.
Which Is Worse: Mice Or Rats?
Both mice and rats can cause a lot of problems as pests. They are definitely a nuisance, but they are more than that. They are a health hazard. Both species of rodents spread disease and cause allergies. Plus, they are known to do a great deal of damage to the items and property.
Risks associated with both rat and mouse infestations include:
- Chewing property such as furniture, insulation, wires, drywall, and more.
- Causing structural damage to things like flooring, insulation, and plumbing.
- Spread germs and contaminate food sources
- Carry diseases such as dysentery
- Cause asthma attacks or allergies
As far as which is worse to have in your home, this is up for debate. While rats tend to be more aggressive and likely to bite, mice breed aggressively, so an infestation can quickly grow out of control.
Eliminating Rodents From Your Dallas, TX Home
If you’re dealing with rodents in your Dallas home, whether mice or rats, you’ll want to get rid of them as quickly as possible. You don’t want to put your health or your family’s health at risk, and these rodents could end up costing you a lot of money in property damage.
While it can be tempting to try to get rid of rodents on your own, these methods aren’t usually effective. For one thing, rodents can be tricky, so DIY methods might not always get rid of them all. Also, some products contain chemicals that are dangerous and pose risks for humans and other pets.
The best way to get rid of rodents effectively and safely is to contact the professionals at Cantu Pest and Termite. We provide commercial and residential pest control to people in Dallas, Texas area.
Get Started With Cantu Pest & Termite Today(972) 562-9999
Looking for quality residential and commercial pest control for your property? Reach out to Cantu Pest & Termite!